Skip Navigation

Dokdo Research Center
Main Menus

Dokdo Today

Left Menus


Major Facilities

HOME > Dokdo Today > Major Facilities
Major Facilities
Dokdo manned lighthouse
Figure
The official name of the Dokdo lighthouse that stands at Gyeongsangbuk-do, Ulleung-gun, Ulleung-eup, Dokdo-ri 30-3 is the ‘navigation mark management office’. The lighthouse first started operations as an unmanned lighthouse on August 15, 1954, and a new lighthouse was erected on July 5, 1955. In December 1972, the Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries established and operated the Dokdo lighthouse on Dongdo as Korea’s first solar-powered unmanned lighthouse. Later, to ensure the safety of fishing boats operating in the seas of Dokdo, the function of the lighthouse as a navigation marker was strengthened by turning the lighthouse into a manned facility on December 10, 1988. The Dokdo lighthouse is currently managed by the Pohang Regional Maritime Affairs and Port Office and is manned by 6 workers (navigation mark managers) who work in groups of three on 1 month shifts.
  • Lighthouse height: 15 m
  • Range: 26 miles (46 km)
  • Sleeping quarters: 55.55 ㎡
  • Office space and power unit: 105.59 ㎡
Dokdo manned lighthouse
The Dokdo Police Guard heliport is used for the transport of personnel and for emergency airlifts, although frequent storm warnings sometimes hinder the use of the heliport. The heliport is also used as a space for the Dokdo Police Guard to work out as they strive to maintain their health and fitness while stationed in the small confines of Dongdo.
  • Area: 400 ㎡
  • First completed: December 17, 1981
  • Expanded: August 11, 1997
Figure
Dokdo Police Guard quarters
Created on April 8, 1956, the Dokdo Police Guard resides at Gyeongsangbuk-do, Ulleung-gun, Ulleung-eup, Dokdo-ri 30-2. Under the guidance of the Ulleung Police Chief, 1 squad (of about 37 officers) is responsible for guarding Dokdo and its vicinity. The quarters of the Dokdo Police Guard consist of one building (barracks: 250 ㎡; fitness room: 85 ㎡) that is used mainly as sleeping quarters.
Figure
Berthing facilities
The berthing facility on Dongdo accommodates tourist boats traveling to Dokdo and also 500-ton ships used by the police guard, making it easier for supplies to be brought to Dokdo. A monument was erected to commemorate the completion of the berthing facilities. The following message is engraved on the monument: “At the eastern end of the Republic of Korea, we have calmed the stormy waves with our rugged breath to plant the spirit of the Korean people here on Dokdo”.
  • Size: Main wharf - 80 m, Smaller wharf - 20 m, Entryway - 137 m
  • Area: 2,390 ㎡ (1,945 ㎡ at lot No.27, 445 ㎡ at lot No.28)
  • Registration: Completed on November 6, 1997, registered in the cadastral records in August 1998
  • Description: Berthing facility connecting Dongdo and Sutdol Rock
  • Construction period: Started in February 1996, completed in June 1997
  • Project size: Construction costs - 10.8 billion won
Figure
Fishermen’s quarters
Construction of a building (118.92 ㎡) to be used as fishermen’s sleeping quarters was completed on November 24, 1997 at Ulleung-gun, Ulleung-eup, Dokdo-ri 20-2. This facility is currently being used as an emergency shelter and sleeping quarters by fishermen operating boats in the seas of Dokdo and by researchers staying on Dokdo for academic research purposes.
Kim Seong-do and his wife Kim Sin-yeol reside in this facility, and as of April 21, 2008, two employees of the Ulleung-gun Dokdo Management Office have also been dispatched to reside in this facility.
Figure